The Nordic In-Floor Module is an external desuperheater that can be added to an air source heat pump in order to add hydronic desuperheating capability. Desuperheating is the process of preheating your domestic hot water using discharge gas while in heating mode. This unit has no output while in cooling mode.
The IFM is meant for use with third-party air source heat pumps that have an outdoor unit housing the compressor and an indoor unit housing the distribution system. You can’t use this product with Nordic heat pumps, because all of our units come with a desuperheater as standard equipment.
Nordic® IFM Series External Desuperheater
The IFM consists of a double wall heat exchanger (sized for minimum discharge line pressure drop), an energy saving ECM-style circulation pump with a bronze head, the taps and valves necessary for air bleeding, and a 75 psi pressure relief valve. It is suitable for heating water for hydronic heating systems or preheating domestic hot water.
Like any desuperheater, the IFM Series only operates when the main heat pump is running (in heating mode) in order to satisfy its demand. That is, for example, the IFM will not heat water on demand in order to satisfy an aquastat. It does come equipped with a thermal cut-out which will turn the circulation pump off if the water temperature exceeds 140°F (60°C).
Quick Facts About the Nordic® IFM Series
|Distribution Type||Domestic hot water or hot water for in-floor|
|Heat Source||Air source heat pump|
Features and Available Options
- For use with third party (non-Nordic) split air source heat pumps.
- Heats water by acting as a desuperheater, while the heat pump is running in heating mode for space heating purposes.
- Reverse cycle bypass valve makes IFM inactive in cooling mode.
- This can be used for domestic hot water pre-heat due to the standard double-wall heat exchanger, or to supply hot water to a small in-floor heating zone.
- Built-in energy efficient ECM-style circulation pump.
- All air bleed taps and valves built in.
- Convenient slim wall-mount cabinet.