Hydronic air handlers, also known as hydronic fan coils or hot/chilled water fan coils, are devices that take the heat from hot water and transfer it to a forced air duct. This is done with a water-to-air heat exchanger, and a blower. Forced air cooling can also be accomplished from chilled water in the same manner.
These units are often used to provide air conditioning in buildings that have hydronic in-floor heating, in conjunction with a liquid-to-water heat pump, or other hydronic heating system. They can also be used to provide multiple-zone heating and cooling, for example in retrofit applications where in-floor heating installation is not practical.
Nordic® AHW Series
Nordic®’s hydronic air handler is called the AHW Series. There is only one size (AHW-65), since a wide capacity range can be achieved by varying the fan speed and water flow through the unit (unlike with a refrigerant air handler).
At the highest air and water flows, it’s capable of 5 tons or more of heating, an uncommonly high capacity compared to competing equipment. See the specification document or manual for detailed capacity information.
All Nordic AHW units come equipped with a condensate tray system, ready for cooling duty. The AHW is available in two configurations: a slim horizontal unit, suitable for attics or crawl spaces, and a slim vertical unit, suitable for closets or basements.
Quick Facts About Our Hydronic Fan Coil Units
|Distribution Type||Forced air|
|Size||one size, capacity to 5 tons or more|
|Configuration||slim vertical, slim horizontal|
|COP||see Nordic W-series|
|Certifications||CSA, UL, CE|
Features & Available Options
- Small profile (24”x24”) in a slim horizontal or vertical configuration, for any installation.
- Premium ECM blower motor is standard, delivering constant airflow regardless of external static pressure or filter condition, with maximum efficiency.
- Internal electric heaters from 5 to 20 kW available as an accessory.
- Air filter can be changed without tools, and only 1 thumbscrew.
- Completely insulated water lines.
- Powder coated cabinet eliminates corrosion.