Our air to water heat pumps are traditional air source heat pumps, which means they don’t require a ground loop to collect their heat. Instead, they use the outdoor air as their heat source in the winter and heat sink in the summer. There is no outdoor collector system, resulting in a lower installation cost.
Nordic® Air to Water Heat Pump
Our air-to-water heat pump (ATW Series) heats water for in-floor radiant heat and cools water for air conditioning via hydronic fan coil. While air source heat pumps sometimes have a reputation for performing poorly in severe cold weather, we’ve made several modifications to our air source heat pumps to improve their performance, even in the dead of winter.
This heat pump has an oversized outdoor unit for superior heating in colder outdoor temperatures. It’s also equipped with intelligent defrost logic, which minimizes the energy needed to defrost the outdoor coil. Finally, the compressor section of the machine is located inside your home, where it is protected from harsh outdoor weather.
The ATW Series is available in sizes from 2 to 6 nominal tons, for whole-home applications, and operates down to -7°F (-21.7°C) at which point back-up heating is required.
Quick Facts about the Nordic® Air-to-Water Heat Pump
|Distribution Type||Radiant in-floor, hydronic fan coils|
|Capabilities||Heating, cooling and domestic hot water|
|Loop Type||No loop, outdoor air handler|
|Size||2 to 6 nominal tons|
|COP||Up to 4.0|
Air-to-Water Features and Available Options
- Outdoor ice channeling to prevent ice build up.
- Copeland Ultratech® two-stage scroll compressor.
- Electronic control board with external digital user interface located in the indoor unit where it is protected from the weather.
- High and low refrigerant pressure sensors.
- Hard start kit is standard on all units.
- Domestic hot water includes double wall heat exchanger and ECM bronze circulator factory installed.